Ken Gottry - Cambridge NY History

Some of the first settlers on the western edge of our community were Scotch-Irish who came between 1763 to 1765 from Colerain and Pelham near the Connecticut River in Massachusetts. The community was first known as Green settlement, then Scotland or Stevenson?s Corner. Around 1850, when the post office was established, the community received its current name of Coila.

CoilaChurch and Parsonage

The Lauderdale Fair started around 1883 on the O.C. Valentine farm at the southern end of Lake Lauderdale. Later this was the location of Corey’s Cabins and in the 1960s the Club 22 restaurant and bar.

In 1888 Jerome B. Rice helped form the Cambridge Valley Agricultural Society, purchase the Lauderdale Fair, and move it to the north edge of the village. The fairgrounds were located on the east side of North Park Street between Jerome Drive and the railroad tracks. (check Google Earth, the track is still visible) 

Part14 034 Fair HorseRace

Reported to have been the brightest class ever to have graduated from the Cambridge Union School. The class had an average over 90 per cent for 4 years.

On July 23, 1761 Cadwallader Colden's patent for the Cambridge settlement was signed. It is recorded in Volume 13 of Patents in the State Land Bureau at page 395. It begins

Great booklet by one of our "local characters"